Rye Lane, from Peckham Road

Rye Lane, from Peckham Road

Object name: Watercolour-painting
Date: 1952
Dimensions:
457.2 x 406.4 mm
Medium: Water-colour
Object number: GA0086
DescriptionOn the left hand corner is Messrs. Jones and Higgins emporium, founded in 1867 in a small shop on the site. On the opposite corner is the Saxone show shop, in premises which were formerly the building of Hanover Chapel (Note the coffin shape of the original structure). Rye Lane was known until the early nineteenth century as South Street and was a country lane leading Peckham Rye.