The Fox under the Hill, Denmark Hill

The Fox under the Hill, Denmark Hill

Date: 1925
Dimensions:
310 x 380 mm
Medium: Oil on canvas
Object number: GA0987
DescriptionThe Fox was in existence at least 200 years ago and was once known as Little Denmark Hall. The tavern became a Sunday destination for visitors from London in the nineteenth century, but was demolished during the 1960s. As a replacement, a newer establishment of the same name was opened higher up the hill towards Dulwich, at the junction of Champion Hill and Denmark Hill.

This painting was exhibited in the South East London Group Exhibition in 1956 from where it was purchased for the Southwark Art Collection.