Franks, formerly the Kentish Drovers. Peckham High Street.

Franks, formerly the Kentish Drovers. Peckham High Street.

Date: 1958
Dimensions:
317.5 x 177.8 mm
Medium: Water-colour
Object number: GA1016
DescriptionAt no.68 High Street, The Kentish Drovers was recorded in 1871 as an ancient public house that had been frequented by travellers to and from Kent for 200 years. In the 1960s the pub moved across the way to 77 High Street, originally the London & South Western Bank. No. 68 then became Frank's department store, specialising in all manner of ladies clothing. Jones & Higgins department store next door opened as a small shop in 1863 before growing into a major store. It closed in 1980.