Grange Walk, no 7 (former abbey gatehouse)

Image Not Available

Grange Walk, no 7 (former abbey gatehouse)

Date: 1971
Dimensions:
500 x 345 mm
Medium: Water-colour
Object number: GA1262
DescriptionBermondsey Priory (converted into an Abbey late in the fourteenth century) was an English Benedictine monastery founded in 1082 by Alwin Child. Child, a Londoner, founded the priory for Cluniac monks from the monastery of La Charitê de Dieu on the Loire, which continued to supply Bermondsey Abbey until 1372.

Bermondsey Abbey took seven years to build and used to occupy what is now Bermondsey Square, the site of Bermondsey Market.
GA1262

7 Grange Walk, formerly Abbey Gatehouse, 1971. Watercolour