St Mary Magdalen Church, Bermondsey Street

Image Not Available

St Mary Magdalen Church, Bermondsey Street

Date: 1971
Dimensions:
500 x 345 mm
Medium: Water-colour
Object number: GA1263
DescriptionThe first known record of the church of St Mary Magdalene is in about 1290, when the church appears to have been serving workers in the priory. Very little more is known until the late 17th century, when its wealthy congregation rebuilt the church. The only surviving part of the older building is the medieval tower with its Gothic window and four arches. The new building was completed by 1690 and the North gallery was subsequently erected in about 1705. In 1794 the South Gallery was added. The last major work was the extension of the chancel in 1882