A View at Walworth (Keens Row)

A View at Walworth (Keens Row)

Object name: Watercolour

Richard Hugh Cuming (1738 - 1801)

Date: 1779
Dimensions:
390 x 500 mm
Medium: Pen and watercolour
Object number: GA1304
DescriptionThis watercolour is by Richard Cuming Jr's father, Richard Hugh Cuming. It depicts Keen's Row on the West side of Walworth Road in 1779, named after Mr Henry Keen, one of the area's largest landlords. No 2 Keen's Row was occupied by Read, an undertaker, joiner and carpenter and his timber yard and workshops were attached to that. These were cleared in the 18th century to build Walworth House, a grand mansion house situated about 50 yards back from the road which Keen built for himself. In the early 19th century Walworth House was boughts and occupied by Dr Carter, who at some point gave over a part of the land to build on, hence present day Carter Street. After carter died the house was occupied b the Melhuish, Knill and Geddes families successively and finally by Carter Street Police Station. In the distance to the left are the Montpelier gardens, the Bee Hive tavern and the cricket club grounds, landlord again being Mr Keen. The Montpelier Cricket Club was formed in about 1840 and after some good matches the ground was taken for building land and the Club moved to the Oval, forming the Surrey Cricket Club in 1844. Richard Hugh Cuming was a keen artist, like many of the other Cumings.
Culture: Walworth