Borough Market

Borough Market

Dorothy Mills (1905 - 1974)

Dimensions:
42.5 x 49.5 cm
Medium: Oil on canvas
Object number: GA1331
DescriptionBorough Market was created by a series of Royal Charters passed by Edward III in 1406, 1442 and 1462. The market has been relocated, rebuilt and altered several times. The present building was opened in 1851, added to in the 1860s, and given an art deco entrance in 1932. Further rebuilds took place in 2001 and 2004 with the addition of the south portico of the ex-Covent Garden floral hall.

Dorothy Mills exhibited extensively with the South East London Group of artists at the annual exhibitions held at the South London Gallery.
Many examples of her local views were purchased by Camberwell and Southwark Councils.

Culture: Female