Joiners Arms Yard, Denmark Hill, in 1882

Joiners Arms Yard, Denmark Hill, in 1882

Date: 1922
Dimensions:
355.6 x 381 mm
Medium: Watercolour on paper
Object number: GA0218
DescriptionThe "Joiners' Arms" received its name from journeymen joiners working on mansions being built up the hillside who frequented it and received their wages there on Saturdays. On the northern side of the passage leading to its year was the ancient Cage, wherein footpads and other malefactors were incarcerated until they could be transferred to the goal at Southwark. Next door, was a watch-house for the watchmen who patrolled the village of Camberwell at night before the Metropolitan Police Force came into being in 1829. One of the oldest roads in the area, Meeting House Lane is shown on early maps as the main route from Peckham across the fields to Deptford. All these properties were demolished by the 1960s. Phipson travelled the country making watercolours of interesting buildings to sell to locals. Many are now in museum collections up and down the country.