Arcade Enclosing Mosque and Minarets (right hand of 3)

Arcade Enclosing Mosque and Minarets (right hand of 3)

Object name: Decorative tile panel

William De Morgan (1839 - 1917)

Date: 1888-1897
Dimensions:
1040 x 617 mm
Medium: Hand painted earthenware tiles
Object number: CE010
DescriptionPolychrome tile panel in three sections, depicting an imagined view of an arcade enclosing a central mosque and two minarets, and with Mediterranean-esque sea and hills to the rear. Consisting of eighty four hand painted earthenware tiles, this panel is a duplicate of a series of twelve decorative panels which form part of a larger commission by the Peninsular and Oriental Steam Navigation Company (P&O), completed by De Morgan between 1882 and 1900. Unfortunately, the originals are now destroyed or lost but a small number of duplicates exist in public and private collections.

Donated to the South London Gallery in 1922 by Harold Charles Massop (1874-1941), a well known a collector of De Morgan.

(Benjamin Angwin - September 2014)